You might know that jazz shoes are already expected to be super comfortable. Due to their leather material, these shoes stretch and do not become tighter to the feet.
Well, many people wear these shoes barefoot, but many do not. How do you wear your jazz shoes? Do you think wearing socks with jazz shoes makes the practice and the dance more comfortable?
If you do not wear socks with jazz shoes but are willing to try, then read this article to get the answer do you wear socks with jazz shoes.
Do You Wear Socks With Jazz Shoes?
Well, actually there are no strict rules about wearing socks with jazz shoes. But depending on the wearer’s preference, one can wear socks s/he wants.
So simply, yes you can wear socks with jazz shoes. But it is recommended to wear socks that are tight enough not to leave spaces for your skin. It also has to be thin and breathable.
Benefits of Wearing Socks With Jazz Shoes
Socks are basically like a caregiver of the feet. Wearing socks with jazz shoes provides as many benefits as possible. It initially works on keeping the socks as comfortable as possible.
Socks can be a great support for your feet if you wear them with jazz shoes. It provides an extra layer that comforts the feet. As thin socks are breathable, wearing them with jazz shoes makes the practice a little more pleasant.
Also, socks protect your feet from most injuries and damage. Due to continuous jazz practice, sometimes feet meet germs, blisters and other damages. Socks can prevent all these with much care.
Then again, socks can solve another common problem, sweating. You must know how much the feet can sweat due to continuous jazz practice. And socks can work wonderfully while absorbing sweat and keeping the feet dry and somewhat fresh.
Tight socks with jazz shoes can also make your dance moves go smoothly. If you wear authentic leather jazz shoes, they stretch out. In this case, socks can be perfect to hold the tightness and make the practice go effortlessly.
So basically, socks work as a support, protector and caregiver for the feet when you wear them with jazz shoes. It makes your practice more effective and comfortable.
What Kinds of Socks are Suitable for Jazz Shoes?
As jazz is a special type of dance, traditional socks cannot be worn with them. You need to choose suitable socks for jazz dance.
The most suitable socks for jazz shoes are thin-material socks. The socks must be lightweight as well. The main reason for it is comfort. You must avoid bulky socks or thick socks. Thick socks are very uncomfortable and work as a barrier to smooth dance.
There are many different types of socks for dances that are specially designed for dances like jazz and more. I will discuss two of the socks that are most popular for jazz dances.
- Jazz socks: These socks are specially outlined for jazz dances. It has almost all the features that an ideal sock for jazz needs. These socks are thin as well as short ankled. Jazz socks are comfortable and soft too!
- Ankle socks: If not jazz socks then you can pick ankle socks as well. These socks are also comfortable, thin and suitable for jazz shoes. It lets the feet move freely. Along with supporting the feet, these socks mostly support the ankles.
Things to Remember While Wearing Socks With Jazz Shoes
As wearing socks with jazz shoes depend on how one prefers to wear them, there are no certain rules for it. But there are a few things you should remember.
I am just pointing out and listing the important things you need to remember while wearing socks with jazz shoes below for better understanding.
- Pick tight socks. It is important to choose socks that will be attached to your feet properly and tightly. There should not be any toe gaps.
- Do not consider trying jazz shoes with bulky socks. Thick fabric or heavy socks must be avoided as they cause discomfort.
- The jazz shoes are supposed to be lenient on feet. But if you feel they are tighter than usual, it is recommended not to wear socks. Because it makes the jazz shoes tighter and causes trouble in performance.
Alternative of Socks to Wear With Jazz Shoes
If you are willing to wear socks with jazz shoes for comfort, you can try its alternative options as well. There are different kinds of tights that you can try if not socks. The tights take care of the feet with jazz shoes just like socks do.
Footed Tights: These tights are basically those tights that cover the full leg and feet. It gives a seamless finish to the feet. Being thin enough, these tights go well with jazz shoes.
Footless Tights: Footless tights are the basic tights that cover the whole leg to the ankle. They keep the legs warm and are very popular for jazz dance.
Convertible Tights: Convertible tights are very interesting for jazz shoes. You can have both footed tights and footless tights by having convertible tights. They are flexible for jazz shoes as they can change their features based on the wearers.
These tights have a small hole in the middle of the foot. The hole is flexible enough to go up to the ankle and turn it into a footless tight.
Stirrup Tights: These tights are also quite demanded to wear with jazz shoes. These tights have a supportive portion under the feet. It leaves the toes and heel area open. So you can wear ankle socks with these tights if you want.
Other Dancing Shoes That Can Be Worn With Socks
Other than jazz shoes, there are many other dancing shoes that you can wear with socks. As socks offer a great deal of support and protection, it is recommended for dancers to wear socks with dancing shoes like jazz shoes and others.
I’m mentioning a few dancing shoes that can be worn with socks so that you can get a clear idea of this area too.
- Ballet Shoes: In ballet, you are required to wear socks as without socks you may confront injuries. In the case of ballet shoes also, you need the softest socks. Soft socks for ballet shoes make sure that you can move smoothly and feel lightweight.
- Tap Shoes: Tap shoes always require socks. Soft, comfortable, and breathable socks are preferred in these kinds of shoes. As tap shoes have quite high heels, feet support while dancing is much needed.
- Hip-Hop Shoes: Well, the socks for hip-hop shoes are totally different from other dancing socks. As I mentioned, jazz, tap, or ballet, all of these shoes require soft and thin shoes. In contrast, with hip-hop shoes, you can comfortably wear your regular socks.
I hope you got your answer to “Do you wear socks with jazz shoes?” Well, it’s simple enough, as it depends on the wearer.
So it’s up to you whether you want to wear socks with jazz shoes or not. But if you decide to wear socks with jazz shoes, make sure to wear the right ones.
Soft and comfortable socks are what you want for jazz shoes.